ADVERTISEMENT

10 worst SEC hires post-Bear Bryant

djegators

Bull Gator
Dec 6, 2008
10. WILL MUSCHAMP, FLORIDA
Years:[/B] 2011-14
Record:[/B] 28-21
Ron Zook (23-14 at Florida) got serious consideration for this spot. Doomed from the start, many Gators fans booed his unsexy hiring following Steve Spurrier. He also at one point tried to fight fraternity brothers on campus. But, despite falling well short of Spurrier and his successor Urban Meyer, Zook wasn't an unmitigated disaster.

LINK

Your paste names Muschamp, but it is all about Zook -- I guess they consider it a tie.

How did Ray Goof not make this list?

This post was edited on 4/2 4:14 PM by HomerGator

Not a great list. Mike Price should be number 1 by default ... Don't understand how John L Smith took the 1 spot. He basically was an emergency hire and only a one-year deal.

Anybody that gets fired for banging Florida panhandle strippers (barf) before coaching a single game - just seems like a no-brainer.

Joker Phillips should be #1 on that list.

He destroyed everything that Brooks had created. Brooks made them a team that couldn't
be overlooked on a schedule. Brooks made them competitive. Phillips returned them to
being a joke.

Ray Goff was a poor hire, but it was compounded because UGA wouldn't dump him.

I don't know if Kiffen belongs on that list. It says the 10 worst hires. He wasn't a bad
hire, per se. Until this past season, it was the last time they had a winning record.

Might be one of the worst..."egg-on-your-face" departures, for UT, but not as a hire,

I thought at first that Kiffin should be tops of the list, but then thinking more on the list, and seeing other names and what they did, I don't feel Kiffie should be in the top 10 JUST because he bailed on Tennessee to move on to a better gig. It's not like he had a losing record or was destroying recruiting at the school, he could have potentially been successful at UT. Compare his numbers at least to their current worst hire, and Kiffin was a mastermind of a hire for the school. How doofus butch jones isn't on that list and Lane Kiffin is absolutely baffles me, cause the ONLY people who were mad about Kiffin were the UT fans who felt he betrayed them. Doofus Jones has a horribly losing record and has given that school not a single marquee win yet and I don't see one on their 2015 schedule either. Maybe his sad story hasn't finished yet so there are some that are still buying into his steaming pile of monkey poop.

I find it hard to believe Shula was THAT bad at Alabama. I had thought he had them competitive for the most part but couldn't live up to Alabama's insane expectations where a season with no losses is still not good enough. Didn't they make it to the SEC championship at least once? No, he's barely over .500 though...

Originally posted by HomerGator:

Your paste names Muschamp, but it is all about Zook -- I guess they consider it a tie.

How did Ray Goof not make this list?

This post was edited on 4/2 4:14 PM by HomerGator
I took as them using the context of Zook to show just how bad Muschamp was.

The reason Muschamp was such a disaster is that Foley had already made this mistake once before. He already tried the approach of the unproven defensive assistant who recruits like a maniac, lacks people skills, mumbles and stumbles at press conferences, and downs RedBulls by the minute. It failed miserably.

Foley had every reason NOT to hire Will Muschamp and he still went ahead with it. It failed colossally and terribly. Every mistake made with Zook was magnified 10-fold with Muschamp.

Originally posted by grommit:
I thought at first that Kiffin should be tops of the list, but then thinking more on the list, and seeing other names and what they did, I don't feel Kiffie should be in the top 10 JUST because he bailed on Tennessee to move on to a better gig. It's not like he had a losing record or was destroying recruiting at the school, he could have potentially been successful at UT. Compare his numbers at least to their current worst hire, and Kiffin was a mastermind of a hire for the school. How doofus butch jones isn't on that list and Lane Kiffin is absolutely baffles me, cause the ONLY people who were mad about Kiffin were the UT fans who felt he betrayed them. Doofus Jones has a horribly losing record and has given that school not a single marquee win yet and I don't see one on their 2015 schedule either. Maybe his sad story hasn't finished yet so there are some that are still buying into his steaming pile of monkey poop.

I find it hard to believe Shula was THAT bad at Alabama. I had thought he had them competitive for the most part but couldn't live up to Alabama's insane expectations where a season with no losses is still not good enough. Didn't they make it to the SEC championship at least once? No, he's barely over .500 though...
I was there on those Shula teams and the players he had on offense were dreadful when he arrived, he was pretty much f***ed from the beginning.. Maybe the worst OL in history was our 05 team, Brodie barely made it out alive.. The defense on the other hand was top notch and kept the program from being a complete disaster, going against that defense everyday was an experience..

Ray Goff? He definitely has to be on the list, I don't think John L Smith was around long enough to be #1

Gerry DiNardo at LSU was a horrible hire IMO. Ray Goff. Houston Nutt while at Ole Miss once he got his own recruits.

Unfair to have John L at the top of the list considering the circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT